Open Forum

communities_1.jpg
  • 1.  Advice appreciated

I'mLinkedIn
    Posted 14-07-2022 10:33 AM

Hi all,

I am currently completing the third year of my Bachelor of Social Work degree through Deakin University and am eager to practice in the family dispute resolution space once I graduate. I also intend on focusing my Honours research next year on an aspect of FDRS. 

Whilst I have not yet completed my degree, I do have significant lived experience that I believe will contribute to me thriving in this sector. I am ready and willing to engage in any additional training/study that may be required in addition to my university studies. I understand that completing the Graduate Diploma of Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) is a requirement, which I intend on enrolling in once I am eligible, however if there is anything else that would assist in my learning and experience in the meantime, I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Christie

------------------------------
    Christie Welsh (she/her)
    Bachelor of Social Work Student
    Deakin University

• 2.  RE: Advice appreciated

I'mLinkedIn
    Posted 15-07-2022 11:17 AM
    Hi Christie,
    I would say to volunteer at places that provide dispute resolution services. Many agencies provide free or inexpensive mediation services. Ask to sit in on mediations (as a learning experience) and that way you will see how they go in real life - as opposed to the role playing you will get in your studies. Finding a mentor in mediation is also a great advantage.
    I wish you all the best.
    Colin

Colin Kaeser
    Mediator
    Kaeser Mediated Solutions
    WA

• 3.  RE: Advice appreciated

I'mLinkedIn
    Posted 15-07-2022 12:23 PM

Hi Colin,

Thank you so much for this advice. I would absolutely willing to volunteer however didn't think it would be possible in such a sensitive space. I have had experience as a service user with FDR, however shadowing or observing from a practitioner perspective would be extremely valuable. I was hoping to arrange to have my final university placement with a particular organisation that provides these services but unfortunately it appears this may not be an option. Having someone who would be willing to mentor me would be incredible also. 

Thank you again for this guidance. I might reach out to some smaller organisations to see what's available.

Christie Welsh (she/her)
    Bachelor of Social Work Student
    Deakin University

• 4.  RE: Advice appreciated

Posted 17-07-2022 08:44 AM
    Hi Christie what state do you live in
    Cheers
    Lee
    Consultant Mediator

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Advice appreciated

Early Adopter
    Posted 23-11-2022 11:20 PM
    Hi Christie,
    Not sure if you'll get this message, but as you indicated, observing mediators in the FDR space is not very accessible due to privacy etc. 
    When you do your training you will be required to do a number of hours practical experience (50 I think). This is where you will get that observational and co-mediation experience.  
    It might be worth checking with organizations such as Relationships Australia, Centacare and Uniting Communities. They are usually set up for supervision and volunteer placements and may have an opportunity. 

Regards
    Jane

Jane Silbereisen, FDRP, NMAS
    Conciliate SA, Adelaide, SA
    M: 0422 977 227